Monday, August 11, 2008

Luthiers We Are


Last night I was treated to a visit by Jacky and his brother Haim. Yaron Naor came over, he is another local (lives in Bat Hefer) guitar builder and brought his two completed guitars. I built my Les Paul during Jacky (pronounced Yacki) Algranati's electric guitar building course. I learned a huge amount, much about spraying and finishing. Haim Algranati is Jacky's brother, a partner in L.A. Guitars and is a full-time luthier (maker of string instruments) in London. Haim meticulously examined each of the guitars that Yaron and I had built and gave feedback on everything from the sound to the workmanship. Jacky, a masterful musician, played each guitar, and he and Haim were most gentle with Yaron and I. It was a wonderful experience. Getting feedback from two masters on every aspect of something you have spent so much time on is both uplifting and humbling. The picture above is Haim, Yaron and Jacky holding Yaron's two guitars. This picture is in the office/library part of my basement shop - lots of books and single malts.

Yaron is an industrial designer by trade and so has a much more artistic approach than my straight and stepwise engineering outlook. He has one of the nicest woodshops in Israel and blacknephewo and I have taken advantage of his hospitality and drum sander. You can see that his instruments are unusual, and the craftsmanship and playability are both top notch.

All it all it was a great time and I thank all three for sharing their experience and know how. We talked about a lot of things, and tossed around the idea of founding an local luthier guild (I actually own the luthier.co.il domain), but not being much of a joiner myself, I am not sure if anyone would take it seriously. When I get more energy I will put together a proposal and starter website and see.

No comments: