Friday, August 29, 2008

DNC 2008

Excellent speech by Obama last night. I spent some time watching reruns of the convention this morning as I had a busy week and was not able to see any live. Its one of the things I miss here in Israel, conventions and football, and NPR. I like to know what's going on, as I certainly intend to exercise my voting rights. We pay our US (and Israeli) taxes, and that in my mind buys the privilege. Both Clintons spoke well, and Michelle Obama was OK. I am glad to see the Democrats finally seem to believe in themselves enough to have a shot at winning the presidency.

Of course, here in Israel we view all this through "what does it mean for us" glasses. I believe a strong America is good for everyone. I liked Obama's "decade to wean the US off Middle East oil", as unlikely as this sounds. Big goals are always impressive. I am interested in seeing how the Republicans will approach their convention. Will they really try the "These aren't the droids you're looking for, You can go about your business, Move along" Jedi mind trick and claim everything is just peachy with the US.

Some speech quotes I thought were cool:

"People have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power." - Bill Clinton

"You don't protect Israel, deter Iran by talking tough in Washington" - Obama

"We are a better country than this" - Obama

That's all for today, rather dry, I know, but I have to go help Blackwifeo in the kitchen, she has a "do" tomorrow, and we have guests for dinner tomorrow evening. Have a good weekend. 6 days till vacation.

No comments: