Saturday, August 23, 2008

No Entry

I don't usually complain (right), but the traffic people have once again been playing silly buggers with our street here at squint central. If you look closely at the above picture you will notice that HaMenofim street is once again a two way thoroughfare. This would not be so surprising except that a mere two months back they made it one way. More interesting and irrational, there is no entry into the street at the stop sign you see in the picture. So its two way from near the end of the street (just after our parking lot exit), although no one can get into the street from that side.

All in all this does make my life easier, as I can turn left out of our parking lot and not have to go around the block to get home. On the first day of the change, I got to witness two taxis remodel each others fenders. This morning early, I was happily driving down HaMenofim minding my own business when I noticed a bread truck trying to enter the no entry side of the street. This was not easy and required a five point turn as the road is angled to allow exit only. To my fascination a policeman appeared out of nowhere and waved down the truck. The argument that ensured was classic. I had to stop to listen because, by then, the truck had blocked the entrance to our parking lot. The discussion went something like this:
Aging cop: "You do know there is no entry into this street"
Truck Driver: "But look at the big white arrows painted on the street, how was I supposed to know there is no entry?"
Aging cop pointing: "Well, there is are two no entry signs right there and there"
Truck Driver: "Well I can't keep up with all these changes, and anyway, WHAT DO YOU CARE?"
Beaten, Aging cop shrugs and turns away, waving the truck on.

The cop may not care, but I certainly do. All I need is a battle with a big truck on the wrong side of the road for a perfect start to the week.

No comments: