Monday, August 18, 2008

The Goats

Its incredible that its already Tuesday, half way through the work week here in the Holy Land. This week's video is by The Mountain Goats. Of course, I love these guys. Blackedwino, the nachas machine, pointed me to them. This song appears to have been somewhat of an anthem for getting through medical school. I'm particularly fond of the line "There will be feasting and dancing in Jerusalem next year, I'm going to make through this year if it kills me".

Their 2005 album The Sunset Tree is a masterpiece in my opinion. John Darnielle's lyrics are perfectly raw and powerful. The simplicity of the arrangement makes his pain come through all the stronger. Sax Rohmer #1 off their latest album Heretic Pride, has a pretty nifty video as does Woke Up New (a little more hard core goats) off Get Lonely. But, as usual with YouTube, you have to wade through much crap to find pearls. But, I suppose, that's what you pay me for.

I have to put in a plug for my favorite music site allmusic.com. This online encyclopedia has all the info on any group/album/song you could ever hope for. I usually even somewhat agree with their reviewers. And its free. If anyone knows of a similar site for books, I would be most grateful for a pointer, as I have never found an equivalent.

No comments: