Monday, August 25, 2008

An Auto Day


Its all about cars today. Blackwifeo drove me into work for reasons that will become clear later. On the way we passed the above wreck. We stopped and I crossed to the median to capture this picture for you. I noticed this wreck yesterday when I drove in early. The city has lovingly placed metal "artworks" along the boulevard (of broken dreams) that joins Herzliya and Raanana. What you see above is a car that somehow managed to wrap itself around one of these "artworks"- a painted tree like thing. It is inconceivable that you could ever force a car to wrap itself around like that. How did it get perpendicular to the street while still traveling fast enough to smush against the metal? The space between the real trees in the median and the metal tree is simply not long enough. What's incredible, the metal of the artwork held (got to give the artist 100% on that). I hate to think what happened to the driver of the car (there was blood on the ballooned airbag). Clearly, the breakdown guys had difficult removing the car as its been two days already. They should leave it there as a reminder.

In keeping with the automobile theme, here's our personal car issue. On Saturday, blackwifeo's father needed to borrow the Renault Mizbeleh. But she would not start. I was hoping that either the car would fix itself or maybe someone in Blackwifeo's family would jump the car while I was at work yesterday. Didn't happen. So last night when I got home there it was, still waiting for me, sadly sitting in the breezeway (nice word, breezeway). After spend a while trying to find where the damn battery lives in my Prius (its in the right hand side of the trunk alongside the spare), I was unsuccessful in jump starting the miserable Renault. But, I learned a lot. Did you know, in order to move the Renault out of its locked Park gear, you need to dismantle the gear leve? Still the Renault was dead, just a few sad clicks and nothing. O.K. Our car insurance theoretically covers roadside service and towing, so we called MEMSI (sort of like AAA) who have resuced us previously, but they informed the blackwife that they don't work with us anymore and passed us onto Shagrir. Shagrir had never even heard of Clal insurance and sent us to our insurance agent, who, of course, was sure that we needed MEMSI. I then called MEMSI again, and some young lady informed me that I need to call "Fanny Premium Towing" (I swear, I made her spell it out) and gave me a number. On calling this number I was informed that I had reached Liat's house and if I left a message, she would call me back and I should have a "Sababa day". So the sad Renault Mizbeleh, spent the night outside without enough juice to even lock the doors. Although unfortunately no one would be foolish enough to steal it, unless they wanted the children's books, assorted makeup, potion and lotions, 4 liters of coke, one week's shopping, some potted plants with two bags of soil, three complete changes of clothes, two giant catering tureens, a gym bag, seventy three odd earrings and seven pairs of shoes, but then they probably have wives of their own with cars of their own.

This morning Blackwifeo took care of it all, phoned the insurance and someone from "Fine Premium Towing" (I suppose Fine and Fanny do sound the same, they both at least start with F) showed up, changed her battery and totally ripped her off, but then we're expecting to be ripped off at least once a day. Its policy around here. I hate cars.

5 comments:

Jozie said...

I drove passed that accident 4 times yesterday, and I have to say that it was both horrible and fascinating at the same time. I don't know if you managed to capture in your photo just how twisted that car actually was. Little 6 yr old, blacknephewo is convinced that the guy died, for sure!!!


The rest of your post, I will ignore. (besides, how I am supposed to know that 1000 New Israeli Shekels is too much money for a car battery- It was written down....in a catalog no less) I hate cars!

Anonymous said...

hey don't feel bad ! i payed more if that helps ...

i hate getting help on any subject i suspect based on fairies little elfs and magic .

well i can always find comfort when one of the said robbers (garage guy, water guy) ask for a help with a computer problem .
only time i feel like a genuine part of the Israeli community.

p.s my theory its a statue of some sort , in Curtice of the car safety people . it just not possible they built those tree thingys to hold like that.

blackpetero said...

Well you all know my philosophy, one needs to be a frier (a sucker, although there is no real English translation) at least once a day. At least the car is working. I hate cars, although I just mildly dislike my Prius.

blackpetero said...

By the way, I drove past the car this morning. It was still there, and there was a photographer with lights, and a camera on a tripod taking pictures.

Jozie said...

shit, wish you had have taken a picture of him taking the picture. fisfasta