Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Zikney Zephath

As you all probably noticed, today is Tuesday which means "music video of the week".

A week ago, Blackpetero gave me the privilege to post to his blog for the Tuesday slot. Since then, I hardly slept at night thinking about the right video for this week.

I read all previous Tuesday posts and watched the videos again and I must say, those videos are much more than 80%, every one of them in it's special way, the artist, the song, the clip itself, and then it hit me : "This blog is about 80%, and especially 80% where I live, which is Israel".

Without any further adu, Zikney Zephath (the old people from Zephath):



This video clip was filmed during 1991 for a television show about music,
which invited every week a young artist/band to come to the studio for a live performance, and this was one of them.

For a comparison, MTV was launched on 1 August 1981,
10 year before this clip was filmed.
The first video clip shown on MTV was Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggels



I don't think that is a good video but it much better than "Zikney Zephath"
at least there are some special effects and the radio is exploding and don't forget it was filmed probably during 1981, 10 years before "Zikney Zephath" clip.
BTW: It is not even Zikney Zephath song.

During 1987 the video clip, Money for nothing by Dire Straits and Sting, was the first video clip shown on MTV Europe.



Obviously they spent some time and money on this clip
I know that today we are making better video clips, at least I hope so !!!
and I will be glad to see some.

Sagi.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post Sagi

Glad to know I'm not the only one losing sleep over this. And I haven't yet had my "Eureka" moment about what I'm going to write. The problem is that you have all set the standard so high.

Helene

Anonymous said...

I really don't know why there isn't even one good Israeli music video (well the local film industry ain't that hot as well...)

but there is a bigger issue.

some of the old music video where definitely 100% :

i just love Dire strait one
always loved Ah ha - take me on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMWXyEHoN88
as well .
Aerosmith (old ones..)
even MJ and madonna .

you know something that tell a story something that add a value to the song. something that amazed you.

today music videos don't do that anymore

its pretty picture to keep you blankly staring at the screen for a few more minute
i can't say that today videos are bad . mostly graphic is ok (nothing like bewolf / final fantasy ) there is a picture of the singer , selling some sex of some sort . and some other general message.

but non is something new or trying to give some sort of a message.
well maybe except "send me an SMS it will buy you a ticket for heaven"


for conclusion i believe in Music Video the whole world is infected with 80% this days

Scarlet said...

Very nostalgic. I also have 'Hey Mickey' stuck in my head, for reasons I'm not entirely sure.

I also have lost sleep trying to figure out what to write about. Who knew blogging could be such pressure?

Unknown said...

Money For Nothing was rendered on a BCS4000, a $200k piece of dedicated hardware, and was the first full "story" to be told in 3D. (Before that it was just short clips to emphasize or explain something.) Although I didn't sell that one, I did sell a couple of them to post houses for use in commercials.