Tuesday, September 23, 2008

You Got Lucky

Its music video Tuesday today and I am back in the US of A. Back in 1982, our record store Z Music was going strong (or weak really), when I went off to the US on vacation. MTV was in its infancy and I spent a whole lot of time in front of the TV enraptured by round the clock music videos. That year Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers released Long After Dark. It sold well in the record store. The album was "easy on the ears" and was one of those certain sellers. If you played it on the store's sound system, within minutes you would sell a copy. We could never keep it in stock.

So there I was in the US watching MTV round the clock, lounging on the sofa at my sister's place when the You Got Lucky video was released. It blew me away. Nowadays its not earth shattering, but its still one of my all time favorites. I'm not sure why. I love the piece where Mike Campbell uncovers the Gibson ES and casually plays the solo. Blackwifeo and I got to see them live in 87 and they really rocked. The Heartbreakers were so tight that Petty gained my complete respect from then on.

Enjoy. This video is from MTV videos not YouTube, I hope it works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to youtube :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTAhZKP5wCY

blackpetero said...

I found that one, but "embedding disabled by request" led me to look for another source.