Friday, September 5, 2008

Otterburn


What a great day. It started early with a foggy run over the moors. I watched rabbits and dear and chatted to cows and sheep. Otterburn hall is wonderful. The picture above is from the side, our suite, room 1 - the bridal suite (I swear), is the window on the top right. After a serious dinner and breakfast, we took the bus from Otterburn to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Its a long story, but we had to go pick up our rental car in the city. The bus drive, and waiting at the bus stop was an experience to remember. We met Agnes, and chatted about the terrible rain they've been having (Oh My!).She gave us tips on where to go, but kept forgetting we will have a car. Anne the busdriver, passed out sweeties (candies) to all the passengers, who seemed to know one another. The drive took about an hour and we arrived in Newcastle in the pouring rain. It rained from then on and looks like it will continue through the weekend. I think I am the only person on this island who is happy with it all. Blackwifeo needed a shopping fix, so we stopped at Marks and Sparks and some other places on the High Street, and bought rain gear. We then trudged through the driving rain to the Avis dealership hidden God Knows Where. Once we got our car, the GPS was a life saver, the stupid thing seems to know its way around the UK much better than Israel or Portugal. I cannot blame it.

Then we motored off to Hexham to see Hadrian's wall, but suddenly my right foot gave in (while eating lunch at a quaint little "bistro" across from Hexham Abbey). I have never had this happen before. Its really quite painful. We drove home to Otterburn Hall,and enjoyed the scenery. Passed "The Wall" at 75mph. Once home, I realized this foot is extremely painful, I have no idea why - probably just old age. So I'm going to nap. You all talk amongst yourselves now.

8 comments:

Marc said...

Ah, rain would be very nice. Great way to start off a dreamy vacation in the midlands or wherever it is that you are.

As for the right foot, I guess you are talking physically because if you're talking metaphorically, I'm swiss witless and wouldn't know what you are referring to. So if it was physical and it was me with my hypercondriac imagination, I would be panicking about a blood clot ... but hell, you're as fit as a fiddle and this can't be any payback for all those nibbles you munched while feeling rich!

Marc

blackpetero said...

Actually, my foot started feeling better before dinner and after a good night's sleep it feels fine. I have no idea what that was all about, but it sure was painful. Now if it would stp storming for a few minutes I would go for a walk.

Marc said...

Maybe it was just good old "runner's foot" or just plain rheumatics - I mean, there are good reasons for not living on the Island, one being the humid damp weather. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

We're having, like, the worst summer ever. It's been quite ridiculous this year. I think we're down about 80% on the amount of sun we get, and lets face it, we don't get that much sun anyway.

Stay safe.

blackpetero said...

Its been storming all night and all morning. I went for a walk and was drenched in 10 mins. I then tried to drive off into the country and the little Peugeot 208 was near swept off the road. Blackwifeo is just sleeping in, she has no interest in the soggy world outside. I'm still happy.

Scarlet said...

I just remembered I could sign in to post comments. Genius.

I've never been up north - keep meaning to, but it's alllll the way up there.

Tell Mrs Blackpetero that we have plenty of spa's that can help to save a rainy holiday from disaster, perhaps?

blackpetero said...

Don't worry about blackwifeo, all I need to do is take her to a mall. They're all inside anyway. Its all in the shopping, for her. Meantime I'm watching a Time Team marathon on 4.

Scarlet said...

Tony Robinson and apathetic locals for the win?