Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Ongoing Saga

Blackwifeo here doing an unscheduled guest blog for poor BPO who is really suffering from jet lag and is too exhausted to post anything let alone talk. It's a good thing that he is conked out, because I am going to take this opportunity to quickly let you in on the suddenly ongoing saga of our washing machine- Jonathan II, who you may have already heard about in a previous post from July.

Ok. So husbando really did not want me to get the new 'Merican washing machine/dyer, even though it only cost us 700 shekels, a total bargain for a Maytag. And yes, we did have a few teething problems in the beginning but those were all sorted out and I have been happily using my Maytag for the last couple of years. I can’t tell you how much I actually enjoy doing a load of washing that takes only 25 minutes instead of 90 as the European models take. The capacity is also double what our ex top of the line Telsa did, so really, with all of the hassles of before, I was SAVING the blackfamilyo money.

Until the phone rang, while sailing lazily down the Trent and Mersey Canal a couple of weeks ago. Dushka, our cleaner informed me that Jonathan was unfortunately a bit on the sick side. Actually, he had stopped working period. Not spinning and she thinks there may have been a bit of a burning smell. shite. Ok. So I quickly called David the Maytag Man, (who was on vacation) and after about a week, he finally showed up yesterday around 12 pm.
I don’t want to bore you guys with details but there was talk about motors, transmission, bearings, welding, melding and other things that I just can’t remember. At one point it was suggested that maybe Petero bring back a new transmission in his luggage (only about $250 and about 15 kilos). I was in a sweat and the Maytag man was not doing any better. The laundry room is the size of a closet and not air-conditioned, really, terrible conditions to work in. Six hours later (I kid you not) I got the bad news. The hoontistashura (Yiddish for bottom line) is that
1- the tub bearing was seized
2-in order to get to it, he had to take out the transmission
3-He then found that the radial bearing was also seized onto the shaft/gear box/ break assembly.
Or whatever.
It is only going to cost between 2000-3000 shekels to fix (maybe less if he can get away without having to yada yada yada- It's like a fucking car- I cant keep this all straight.)

It was suggested that seeing as its going to take a while to get this all sorted out, I should take my laundry over to brother Ari and use his top of the line Telsa in the meanwhile. Petero is going to love that.

I discussed this whole issue with my friend Todd yesterday. I am now copying and pasting a piece of our chat:

-Me
A new machine would cost about 4000-5000
so you see, I am actually saving black petero money
-Todd
hmm, so your repair is almost the COST of a new machine
-Me
No, it’s half as much!!!
-Todd
Yes, so you are SAVING blackpertero money
-Me
Exactly.
-Todd
He should actually make up the difference by buying you something very nice as a thank you
That’s what you should tell him
-Me
EXACTLY- Whew, at least someone understands

There you have it guys. The good new is that the transmission is fine and so is the motor.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see Petero's reaction

Way to go Josie

Helene

Anonymous said...

ma'am , i am afraid that your washing machine is dead . don't go the black magic route , its dead.

in cars when you have an accident
and the repair value is bigger then 50% its a "total loss" , should really be the same with every electrician thingy.

yes , they can do some thingies which will make it work for a little while but it will not be the same . and it wont be for long .

and the torment that you will receive then will be endless *shivers* .

so with my poor 2 cents i suggest
either buy a new one (not gonna be involved in the jonathan vs telsa dispute)

or find a river and teach blacksono to do the washing with a piece of metal and a soap.

you might have to forget about that present you were planning to buy with the money you are saving though ...

p.s good post, thank you for filling the gap .

Jozie said...

Mr Maytag Man put it this way: After doing all of that work, all the bits and pieces will be new and totally refurbished. It will be JUST like getting a new machine.

Besides, Goddamit, I want my Maytag.

blackpetero said...

Yo Blackwifeo, thanks for saving the blog from a fate worse than death. I was so tired last night, no way I could string two words together. Not to mention I was full to exploding having stuffed myself on Indian food for lunch (Grand Indian Buffet) and supper (Alpana's wonderful home cooking).

Its 4.07am here and I am well rested. All I can say is that no way was I going to lug a 15Kg transmission in my luggage. Anyway it will be full of potions and lotions for you.

After much thought I have decided that I will take a deep breath and pretend none of this ever happened. Hopefully Jonathan II will be alive and working when I get home. I will (wisely) never say I told you so.

Anonymous said...

Peter - you're growing!!!

Dewi said...

Jozie dear,
if I can only help you to convince him. He did visited our utility room this morning, but only to drop his laundry, LOL!