Saturday, January 10, 2009

Weekend

I love Saturdays. What's not to love, it's the weekend. I spent the day watching Planet Earth, The World at War, Time Team and Cosmos. Then we went to visit our friends Brian and Irit. They just moved into their new house and it was the first time I visited. It's very nice indeed. For years and years, as long as I have known Brian (probably 30 years), he has always loved movies. He always had more TV than anyone, more video and more DVDs than anyone. Finally he's built the home theater he always wanted. It is fine. The picture quality is perfect, the sound crisp and clear and the couches incredibly comfortable. We watched some chick flick with only women in it, and some David Gilmore concert. It's simply a pleasure to experience the quality that's gone into the whole system. I am very happy for him.

One of the best thing about growing old up is that finally you can, without conscience, invest in what you love. I have my tools, books and music, Brian his home theater and movies, and Larry his running shoes and boogie board. And you would think, I could, without conscience, be able to spend a whole Saturday lounging around, watching TV shows, visiting friends, and doing nothing constructive.

You would think I could just relax, but every recent Saturday evening, thinking about the start of the work week tomorrow and the five long days till the next weekend, I feel hollow inside. Where did this weekend go?

1 comment:

brianisra said...

Thanks for the kind words guvnor! Oh but the hollowness! At least you probably got to sleep earlier (it's now 1:00am) than me, because the lateness of the hour, is in direct proportion to the size & depth of the end of the "weekend" hollowness :-)