Saturday, January 24, 2009

Early morning Musings From The Hills.

I arrived in California last night after what seemed like an age on the plane. The TLV-LHR leg was not too bed as the plane was about a quarter full and as we all know, there is nothing better than an empty plane. The long flight from LHR-SFO was packed, but I had a pretty Belgian woman sitting next to me. She works in sales for a medical company, and we had one of those deep in-flight chats that you have with someone you will probably never see again. I learned about life in Belguim, the difficulties of being a women rep in a man's field and about the joys and challenges of bringing up three kids of varying ages and varying partners.

While munching on a PretA Manger sandwich in Heathrow, I got a distressing call from bwo. She had just returned from a talk with bdo's counselor and teachers. It's tough going there, and what's worse, I'll be out and helpless for nearly two weeks. It's not only at school that bdo is having a hard time. We got her last month's cell phone bill and she spent over 800NIS. She had sworn blind, that this past month she would cut down to at most a quarter of that. So we are going to get her a prepaid SIM card (called a talkman) and give her the simple phone that has no internet capabilities and we should see from there. I feel so helpless. Long distance parenting is not something I am good at. I have enough trouble when I am right there. I love my girl and we will do what is necessary to get her back on track.

Its 6am here and pitch black outside. I would go for a walk, but there are no streetlamps in Los Altos Hills, and there are man eating deer roaming the streets. Jonathan and Dewi have been wonderful as usual, and I'm looking forward to going tool gazing with my boys in a few hours. I brought my camera and will try remember to take some pics. Stay safe peeps.

No comments: