Thursday, January 29, 2009

Travel Tips

I have decided to be magnanimous this morning and provide you, the reading audience with a few travel tips. Treasure this knowledge, it has been acquired through long sleepless hours traveling the globe.

This one's for all of you intellectuals that only own black clothing except for the odd white reflective T shirt to aid in easy roadside identification and accident prevention while walking or jogging. You may have noticed that once your bag is packed and you're on the road, identifying clean from dirty can be an issue. All the beautiful black clothing tends to meld together into a homogeneous blob in your bag. Here's a simple tip. Once worn, turn each item inside out. This distinguishes the worn from the clean clothes. This doesn't work so well for plain black socks, mind.

My second tip is relevant to all you overseas travelers. People are always going off about what to do about a cell phone in the US. We tried all sorts of ridiculous schemes in the past including some Russian company that called you back automatically (press "Da" or "Neut" to continue). None were satisfactory. The best move is to buy a $14 "ATT go phone" at Walmart. These come with a "pay as you go" SIM. Mine was preloaded with $10 of calls, so the phone only actually costs $4. You need to keep it topped up, but at 10c a minute and free calls to other ATT phones, its a bargain. It's a pity it does not work all that well up here in the hills.

Finally, make sure you time your trip to miss KQED's pledge drives. KQED is the excellent Public Radio station here in Northern California. Unfortunately they seem to have a pledge drive each quarter, and I have hit "pledge week" the last two times I came out here. It's so annoying, every interesting program is cut short and you are subjected to this annoying pair grovelling for money. Come on guys, I realize you are publicly funded, but can't you arrange for this to happen when I am back home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BPO
I heartily concur on the topic of the NPR pledge drive shite. Although NYCgal calls NPR "the Truth" and likes to have it going on at all hours as white noise, I draw the line at the pledge drive. That is when I look to throw the radio out the window. Car Talk and Prarie Home Companion are bad enough. But when they come begging for money they end up losing me for a month. Bad business model.

NYCguy

Deb Rox said...

I'm totally with you on the the all black travel wardrobe. The inside out is a good technique, thanks. But I've been known to wear black shirts inside out, so I'm going to have to be careful to prevent that particular embarrassment.

blackpetero said...

I am honored to have be commented on by "deb on the rocks". Deb's blog (one of the few I follow religiously) contains some of the most cynical, biting and ass kicking commentary I have found. And now I find out she's actually a black wearer. If only she were into men.