Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hmmmmm

I was thinking about the party we had on New Years Eve. In looking back, I realize it was all a little weird and uncomfortable for me. See the things is, at social events, I usually like to keep in the background. I can usually be found hanging out in the periphery of the function. I love to people watch. I like to try figure out who's in, who's out and who's against whom. I build little scenarios in my head. Truly it's the only way I can get through a lot of these.

All that changes when you're the host. You have to be in the center of things. No one lets you watch from the sidelines. It really places me firmly outside my comfort zone. Our parties are populated by all sorts of people we know. There are the boring old people like us, there are squints and friends of squints. There are people we never expected would show up and those we see far too little of. There are those that you would prefer to talk to one on one at length and those that you never have anything in common with, and have even less to chat about now that you're busy being busy. It's all rather exhausting. In fact I'm so tired I'm off to sleep.

No comments: