Saturday, January 3, 2009

Contemporary Art

I got bored sitting around today. Having finally recovered from the party, I decided to take a walk to the "Herzliya Museum of Contemporary Art". It's not too far and it was a nice day, so off it went. To my amazement it only cost 10NIS entrance, the best deal in Israel. But I have to say I do not understand the art there at all.

Firstly, I visited the huge "dust" sculpture by Peter Buggenhout. Basically, it looks like a giant version of the inside of mumps, our house computer, who died this morning because it was so clogged with dust that the fans could not turn. I wonder how they vacuum the museum, the cleaners will be destroying valuable artwork.

Next I visited the "No Nonsense" exhibition, which as far as I can tell is the output of a bunch of film school dropouts who have been let loose with video cameras. The stuff was weird. There was one piece that showed the butts of people walking, another that followed a toy remote controlled car as it navigated the naked curves of a shapely model. A weird 3 minute clip here these two Tel Avivies are watching a Rambo movie, then suddenly start mimicking the action on the screen as Rambo removes a bullet from his muscle bound side. It was all a bit beyond me. Here is a key action shot from "Rambo".

I am happy it only cost 10 Sheks to see this (It included a guided tour at noon). Any more and I would have felt ripped off. I tried approaching this with an open mind, but I'm just a peasant. At least the tour guide was cute.

No comments: