Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Joys Of Travel

It's early in the morning here. I wanted to sleep in, but my body refused. I went to bed late last night, after a midnight skype chat with bwo. I was tired but happy. I had an excellent day yesterday. I woke early and popped off to Starbucks for a coffee and blueberry muffin (when in America, one must be American). I walked around Los Altos downtown and then drove up into the hills to look at the view. It was rather cloudy, and so not much to see.

I met Greg and Dave a bit later and after a tour of Greg's world class garage shop (I have never seen a neater and more organized shop anywhere), we headed off to the Japan Woodworker in Alameda. Wonderful place. I bought bwo two Japanese vegetable cleavers as she requested and poured over the amazing Japanese and top of the line US hand tools. We got chatting with the guys running the store, who gave us each a freebie T-Shirt. They were fascinated by the fact that I was from Israel. Turns out they are both Jewish. After a lengthy conversation covering the bad harvest of Etrogs in the San Fernando Valley they let me take their picture. We decided it should be called "The Only Two Jewish Woodworkers In the Bay Area". Check 'em out (I'm sorry I never got their names).

Next we visited Hida Tool, the other Japanese tool dealer in Berkeley. We poked and examined and discussed each interesting item in turn and generally made a bit on a nuisance of ourselves. I was amazed that even though it was a rainy Saturday afternoon, both stores were pretty empty and trade seemed very slow. I hope these guys make it through the recession. They both carry a huge amount of stock.

We drove around aimlessly for a while looking for somewhere to eat, and by chance stumbled upon Jimmy Bean's. It's sort of a cafe slash coffee house. The food was excellent. My veggie wrap was really tasty, filled with fresh seasonal veggies, and spiced to my taste. We all three enjoyed our lunch.

We motored back to the South Bay talking all the while about the important world-changing things we usually discuss. Things like how the ipod shuffle can be dismantled and how digital camera's really work. I had a wonderful time. I really miss having these two "mavens" around.

When I got back home, I collapsed on my bed for an afternoon nap. I woke up completely disorientated after about an hour. Just lay on the bead an gazed out the window. This is the view from my bed.

Don't suck does it?

Dewi made us a superb supper. Vegetables and couscous cooked to perfection. They had invited over a German friend (also called Peter) and the conversation was interesting. So many of the people around here have accomplished much in their lives. And as is typical for Silicon Valley, we have the computer industry in common, so there always a lot to learn from each other.

I collapsed (I think I talked everyone under the table) around midnight. A good day.

No comments: