Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No Bedroom Screen

If I have learned one secret in life, it's this. There is one easy way to attain a better quality of life. Get rid of the TV in your bedroom. Take it from me, it works. It took around 18 years of marriage to get the tenure necessary to actually be the one chosen when the "either it's me or the TV" debate finally came down to action. I love not having a TV in the room. Bwo and I can each sit with our laptops, she on her side of the bed, me on my comfy chair. We can each watch whatever show we want off the net. We can send each other emails (can't talk over the headphones), and if necessary even IM each other. The perfect twenty first century partnership. There is supreme comfort in looking across at her lying contentedly on her side of the bed, macbook perched on her stomach, headphones on, surrounded by her necessities, her cell, the house phone, 2 plates one with a congealed bean like dinner made by bso, apple cores, today's (and yesterday's) clothing and assorted potions and lotions.

You see, each of us watching our own choice means I never have to pause when her cell phone rings with another self-helpless, on-the-ledge, poor soul in need of calming words. She never has to watch war documentaries and I need never watch quasi-reality cooking shows. It works perfectly. We can each choose what to watch when, true video on demand. And if it means I need to clean all her crap off my side of the bed before I go to sleep, its a small price to pay. So thanks bwo for letting me get rid of the TV on the bedroom, my life has improved beyond measure.

2 comments:

John Deuel said...

Our bedroom TV died last year, after 20+ years of service (yes, it predates my husband). We haven't replaced it and don't have any plans to.

blackpetero said...

We constantly argue about this and o is convinced that it's cruel and unusual punishment. But, I have never loved TV and now with the internet I see no reason to have someone else pick what I'm going to watch.