Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Shooting the Ducks

I piss myself off sometimes. I just let myself get to angry over rubbish. Tonight at a school board meeting it seemed to me someone was wrongly questioning my judgment. This on a subject I had invested a huge amount of unappreciated time and energy. The injustice of it all made me see red and I immediately and most certainly overreacted. I was ready to get up and resign my position and chuck this board crap to the four winds. Dave sitting next to me gave me a "Hey, you're supposed to be a professional" look, so I took a deep breathe and sat back till the furies passed.

I'm annoyed with myself for taking this shit personally. I know everyone is really looking out for the good of the school, but I have no patience for "duck hunters". You know, the people who stand at the end of the field and shoot down any idea that comes over (that's not theirs). While sitting and steaming in the meeting, I realized that I had done exactly the same thing to someone's fledgling concept earlier in the day at work. And I could not understand why they got so offended when I was only stating the obvious. It was a sobering moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful that you could translate your own feelings in a situation to the feelings of others when they are on the receiving end from you. On the one hand it is a moment full of shame but on the other you should be really proud of yourself. You've grown and that's all one can wish for.