Friday, February 13, 2009

A Light Bulb

A month or so back, I came home to find two large boxes filled with "green" light bulbs on the dining room table. It seems bwo's brother (blackbrother-in-lawo is a bit of a mouthful), went to some outlet somewhere and found these at an excellent price. We ended up with two boxes of twenty four (and they only sat on the dining room table for about a month, we're getting better). We never do things in half measures. This morning one of the regular light bulbs down-downstairs in my office/shop blew. I remembered these energy efficient, green bulbs and decided it was time. It took me about twenty minutes to open the dammed plastic container the stupid light bulb came in. Get with the program Hyundai (don't they make cars? this is diversification at its extreme), these things are supposed to be environmentally friendly, why do you need all that impenetrable plastic. These fluorescent blubs should be no more fragile than the regular incandescent bulbs that are packed in simple (recyclable) cardboard. Eventually, I freed the poor sod from its hard plastic prison and screwed it in. I don't think I'll ever get used to that second delay between the flipping of the switch and the illumination. At least I'm doing my bit for the environment. We better act fast and change all the lights in the house, Australia is going up in smoke even as we speak, and I haven't visited there yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Careful! All that packaging protects the bulb from breaking easily. Did you forget the bulb contains mercury?

So, just how environmentally friendly/safe are they?

Take care getting rid of it after replacing, too. You have 24 hazardous doses of mercury to dispose of properly in your future.

Mazel tov!

oliviao said...

You are lucky you only have a second's delay before you have illumination. We have the light of one candle, then two, then 3 and slowly the room lights up - most irritating - but I guess green is good!