Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Rice

So, of course, there were horrible snow storms in London, Heathrow was closed for a day and my flight back home today was canceled. So British Airways booked me to fly tomorrow. That gave me an extra day here in Houston. I am completely shopped out, and what with having little to no disposable income at the moment, shopping is very dangerous. So I went to visit my old school. Rice University is at the center of Houston, close to the medical center, the zoo, museums and big park. I parked in a visitor's lot and walked around. It was a beautiful day, and the campus is still a haven of peace and quiet in this huge city. I wandered around all the old buildings I used to frequent, the computer labs, the grad student pub, the student center and the library. It's a very peaceful place. I was amazed at how young the students are. They look no older than bso and bdo. In truth, they are no older than my kids. But my, they are a serious looking bunch. They actually look no different to what the kids looked like when I was a student. There wasn't a lot of tattoos and piercings, just serious looking youngsters in jeans and T-shirts, walking with purpose from class to class. I really lucked out when I was accepted there, it is a great school. I hope my two are lucky enough to experience that sort of quality higher education in their futures. Here's a picture of the entrance to the quad.

No comments: