Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Election Day

I have always said that if I were by some very unlikely miracle to ever become very wealthy (this would need to be enough money that bwo couldn't spend it faster than it accrues) there are just two things I would like. Firstly we need a full time, live-in maid. Someone who could spend the day ordering and organizing the agents of entropy that make up blackfamilyo. The second reason to be very wealthy is that I need to be able to travel business class with no qualms. Look, I'm being reasonable, I don't think first class is necessary, but cattle class is so, so dismal. Today I decided to begin organizing the "papers". We collect so much paperwork. From banks, credit card companies, bills, receipts, report cards, medical stats, paychecks, travel docs, tax forms, and so on ad nauseum. We are getting drowned in an mountain of unopened mail. I spent three hours just opening the six months of accumulation, and I will have to spend at least two weeks filing and Quickening. So I decided this maid we'll get when we're well off, will need to be an accountant or maybe a personal assistant as well. I wouldn't hurt if she is also cute.

It's been an eventful day. Election day is a vacation here in the Holy Land and I used my time well. We voted around noon. Here is a picture of bwo and bno at the voting station, in the Aviv High School down the road. It was bno's first time and he did a good job, not even needing help picking out the correct slip from the fifty or so in the booth. Bwo was worried he would end up voting for some Rabbi with a messianic complex or something, but never fear, the lad has clue.

Voting has just closed and all the newspaper polls put Kadima ahead of Likud. Hmmm, I didn't expect that. Maybe when people actually got into the booth the thought of four years of Bibi was just too much for them to stomach.

We have had a stormy day here. It's actually been raining. I went for a long walk in the rain this afternoon and stopped off in Herzliya center to have an absolutely excellent falafel handmade by Haim. When told him that I had eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world and nothing came close to the piping hot falafel with salad, tehina and hot sauce in a soft pita, topped with these freshly fried batter dipped potatoes, he just looked at me and smiled and said "obviously" (Baroor). I walked home in the pouring rain and hail. It was well worth it.

This is what our back garden looks like in the hail. Yeah, I know, the umbrella has fallen over again.

No comments: