Friday, February 6, 2009

Another Day at Home

I had a frustrating computer day today. Since our server went down before I left, things have not been working well on the computer side of the house. The network (name resolution to be exact) is horribly slow, nearly unusable. Today I rebuilt the server probably ten times. Each time there was some problem or another (I'm using Suse 11.1 because Ubuntu is just horrible at dns it seems). It's still not done. I have had 2 DVD's with write errors, a hard disk that will not boot, a faulty network card, you name it. I hate to leave this in the air, but I am getting tired. One good thing is that I have been so focused that I have been on my feet since seven this morning.

bdo is having a "party" outside tonight. We made her promise there would be no alcohol. She claims that her posse will stay outside and not come in the house (yeah right). She cleared it with the neighbors, so hopefully they will not call the police too early. When she sets her mind to something, nothing will stand in her way.

The in-laws had a rather rowdy Friday night dinner and I (actually bwo) brought some candies from "America" for the kids, so I was not completely in disgrace. They made enough noise to wake the dead, we escaped early, but now we have this party downstairs ensuring us all a peaceful night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, why do you have a server? i just have PCs that export file systems and then have other PCs with a full copy of everything (or at least docs and photos), so if one PC dies, the other can pick up things. i also use external drives so can move them to another machine if one dies. more loosely coupled. only negative is having to run scripts to copy new/modified files.

blackpetero said...

You are right, of course. The server holds our music, videos and webpages. As well as our email and name server. I should get rid of it all and use the ISPs dns, and email, but its been this way for years. I also host ostrin.org and powguitars.com both of which are off the air at the moment because I have not got the web server up yet. Its a hassle, but it worked error free for years until the server died before I went off to the US.