Thursday, December 3, 2009

Minarets

I struggled to find something to write about today. My cousins warned me that I had better not lose a day or they will taunt me forever. So I have been sitting here for a while looking at the news thinking what I would write about. I think the whole Tiger Woods having an affair hysteria is boring. Chelsea Clinton is going to marry a Jewish bloke - we make good husbands. Another of our religious brethren in the Knesset put his foot in his mouth and claimed he would rather employ men over women as he would "prefer his month in reserves to her six month maternity leave." So the Israel Women's Network filed a complaint Thursday with the attorney general and the Knesset Ethics Committee. Let's see how far this gets them.

But the thing I have been most fascinated about over the last week or so is the minaret referendum in Switzerland. The Swiss held a vote Sunday to decide whether to allow the building of minarets on mosques or not. They nixed the minarets with 57% of the Swiss voting against what their fear of the "Islamization of Switzerland". This seems a little intolerant don't you think? Check out the campaign posters, the minarets actually look like missiles. Church steeples are just as sharp.

Could you just image what would happen if Israel had to hold this kind of a vote.

1 comment:

oliviao said...

Our supposedly 100% country has been alternately fascinated by the Tiger Woods soap opera and by 2 uninvited guests getting into the White House for a gala in honor of the Prime Minister on India. Never mind that there are other much more interesting things to learn about - including a huge summit in Copenhagen on global warming... oh well!