Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Airport

10 minutes to boarding and I realized I forgot to post a blog today. The wife and daughter are in the duty free, the son is sitting next to me here at gate C8 complaining about his sore back. We have a long flight to Newark and then a short flight to Houston. It's rainy and windy outside, perfect weather to be in an airplane. I already feel cramped and cranky. Why is everything to do with airplanes and airports always so sharp and metallic. These must be the least comfortable chairs in the world. We are sitting here watching the Continental aircrew have their iced-coffees, they are quite a rag-tag lot. They could do with some sprucing up. I hope the ladies make it back from the shopping in time to board. The boy and I are going into our seats as soon as we can, and then to sleep. See you on the other side of the world.

2 comments:

oliviao said...

Looking forward to seeing you guys - travel well - try not to fly the plane!

SB said...

It's about 24 hours later and I think I'm exactly where you were when you wrote the original post.
The best thing about the flight to America is the American's (or are they the worst?)... I don't care how long you've been in this country, maybe a day, maybe a week, maybe 100 years, the one thing you know is that THERE IS NO LINE! Don't ask me where the line is, 'Is this the back of the line?' 'Are you in line?' All I will answer is THERE IS NO LINE! There is a mob, now jockey your way to the front. It may mean giving dirty looks, pushing, shoving, even speaking Hebrew... but if you want to be on the other side then make a play for it, or you will be last.

The guys at work tease me about not being assertive enough. If they could only have seen me in action today.

By the way the cab driver got me from Florentine (my neighborhood) to the airport in 15 minutes. I think he drove 150 the entire way. I wasn't in a rush, so had the opportunity to stand in the mob and talk to Americans looking for 'the line' an extra 15 minutes.