Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hmmmm

Why didn't anyone tell me that another inhabitable planet has been found. Gliese 581c was discovered on April 24, 2007. It was originally believed to be capable of supporting life as we know it. But, it seems that there is some sort of insulating belt of gas that gives ol' 581c more than five times the greenhouse gases than Earth. So it may be a little hot. Its hot enough for me here in the Middle East, so I don't thing blackfamilyo will be taking the 20.4 light year journey any time soon.

I have been listening to "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. I read the book a while back, but I have spent all my credits on audible.com and so was left with the stuff blackwifeo bought a while back. One striking thing he mentions is how perilously close to annihilation we live here on our earth. It seems we are long overdue for a giant meteor collision, or a "supereruption" of a megavolcano or some other cataclysmic event. Not to mention the dangers of our own destruction of the ozone layer the seemingly inevitable global warming that's due. And now even 581c appears to be pretty much uninhabitable. All this makes me wonder, do I really need to come to work tomorrow?

5 comments:

joch said...

Well, it seems there are some other things no one has told you about yet: We already had a giant meteor collision, and we already had a "supereruption" of a megavolcano... Life on Earth is full of fun.

blackpetero said...

I like this one Yellowstone Caldera. Calderas are usually related to big volcanoes, it seems.

arnieo said...

Man you guys just depress the hell out of me

arnieo said...

I think maybe it is time to move Happiest
country on earth

blackpetero said...

I'm off to Denmark - looks like I better start enjoying herring.