Monday, June 30, 2008

The Interview

We are looking for a few good squints here down at squint central. So there is a lot of interviewing of potentials going on. This is not something new, but in order not to make it too laborious, we change the process from time to time. In the old days we would go in two interviewers per interviewee. This meant that one person could ask a question while the other watched closely to see if any extreme psychopathic tendencies were displayed (we hired all the mild cases). We came to the conclusion that this was a bit of a waste of one person's time and so have reverted back to the traditional one on one interview.

Now it can get a little tedious asking the same questions over and over and seeing as I am alone in the interview there is no one to check my eccentricities. So hot off my soul-reinforcing, mind-uplifting audiobooks, I decided to see if I could find out something more about the potential squint. I started the last few interviews off with a welcome and short repartee about the traffic (always a worthy topic here in the narrow part of Israel), and then leaned back on my chair and fired out "OK so tell me, what do you believe?"

After the few moments (sometimes minutes) of stunned silence, I got some really interesting answers. I am happy to say that a lot of our potential squints can at least think quickly enough on their feet to come up with pretty convincing bullshit. "Truth and Beauty" is popular. A few days back I got a lovely story involving a father and a grass path, with the moral of "No Short Cuts". I'm impressed. Funny thing is, no one here believes in god.

5 comments:

Yuval said...

mild cases? - the best compliment I got in months...

Anonymous said...

Hello. Sorry. I appear to be stalking you now. I just accidentally clicked onto your profile and then saw you had a webpage and clicked onto that too (us hacks are nosy by nature) and I saw that you made your own guitars. I play guitar (very, very, very badly) but I kind of just wanted to say how much I admire that you do that. I think that music is one of the ultimate forms of self-expression and making the instrument that allows you to express yourself creativity takes it to a whole new level. So I just wanted to say.. you know. I think it's supermegaawesome and I'm now very muc in awe of you.

I will leave you alone now, but it turned out that sometimes I do have thoughts that I have a desperate urge to share. Who knew?

Anonymous said...

Also, it appears that I have forgotten how to type, punctuate and spell.

I also think I sound unbelievably pretentious in my last note. Please forgive me - it's been a very long weekend and my fingers and brain are as tired as the rest of me :)

/Now/ I'll leave you alone.

blackpetero said...

Thanks Scarlet. Its very nice of you - making guitars is not hard, just takes time and patience.

Anonymous said...

the flying spaghetti monster of course