Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Post-Apocalyptic Job

You have got to be ready for the apocalypse. I am a firm believer that everyone needs to prepare their post-apocalypse job. This is especially relevant for those of us in the computer world. There'll be no Microsoft help line to call - the lack of electricity or phones will make that irrelevant. So, I am a firm believer that each person needs to prepare their role for the post-apocalyptic world.

So years ago I took up woodworking. I was particularly fascinated by hand tools and spent countless dawn hours combing the flea markets of Northern California to bring home good quality hand tools well used by someone's grandfather. I spent many an hour learning to sharpen and use hand planes, spokeshaves and the internet. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of wood here in the Holy Land - lots of camels, sand, rock, stone and gravel, but not a whole lot of hardwood trees. Space is also at a premium, so when we moved here I had to trade in my lovely naturally lighted, double car garage woodshop, for half a basement. So I became a luthier (amazingly enough, the Firefox spell checker has not heard of "luthier" and decided I need to become a "Lutheran" or a "Gautier") and started building guitars. Guitar's take up a lot less room and use a lot less wood than sideboards. I am, of course, assuming that sufficient guitars will be incinerated in the apocalypse to keep blackfamilyo fed.

So there you have it. The answer to the often asked question "Why do you build guitars?"

8 comments:

Yuval said...

I thought of house cleaning and heavy lifting (moving houses etc...) as my post apocalyptic job.
Maybe a kindergarden teacher

Anonymous said...

I will try Beer brewing, cooking and random reverse engineering of everything.

Liba2k.

Anonymous said...

please post pictures of said workshop/ghee tar may king plaice.
thanks.
An Admirer

blackpetero said...

Dear Anonymous
You can always browse over to powguitars

John Deuel said...

I've been wondering about my post-apocalyptic job. I'm gravitating towards figuring out how to survive. I.e. stay warm, sheltered & fed. I figure if I can build a house and grow food, I'll be ok.

I probably should go live somewere warmer, tho.

blackpetero said...

Well its warm here. I think you need to specialize, how about growing herbs?

Yuval said...

It might be warm here but after the bomb you will have a post apocalyptic job only as a cockroach...

oliviao said...

For me, my dream job is sitting in a rocking chair with a baby in my arms...(preferably one I can give back when it's hungry and yelling)Do you think you can make me a nice rocking chair?