Thursday, July 24, 2008

Owlnet Admins


I have always believed in being proactive. So, seeing as I will be out driving the wilds of Israel over the weekend, I figured I would make today a double post day. The picture above, taken somewhere around 1990 at Rice University, still hangs in my office. I look at it every day. There is John (kink) our boss, and Sam (sam) sitting, Mark (mjk) and I (blackpetero) standing. We were the owlnet admins. The Sun 3/50 on the trolley is Spam my old machine. The three others have gone off in the world and made an impact. Mark is a famous writer of graphics software, Sam sold his company to the NYSE for more money than god, and John (who has a real blog) has been a CTO and SVP at various NYC companies. But, what is so cool about this picture is that you can see in those days we were really just having fun, happy to be given access to kick-ass technology. It wasn't about the money or the future or the stock options or the responsibility, we just wanted to learn. I really miss those days, and sometimes forget that they ever happened - this picture reminds me of them daily.

3 comments:

John Deuel said...

I like this. Mark is famous, Sam has more money than God, and John "has been".

What you might forget is that this was the "Lunchmeat" team. Porting X windows directly to the diskless 3/50. Building on the Univ. of Ariz. xKernel. Hence the tie-in with "Spam". Can you see the Spam can on top of the monitor?

And I think it was 1990, because wasn't it the same year as the G7 summit was at Rice and we rented a beachhouse in Galveston to escape?

Now, no offense to the vegetarians, but I'm going to go put some filet mignon on the grill and open a bottle of wine. My in-laws are arriving for the weekend.

blackpetero said...

Seems to me you're doing OK for yourself. Old people like us, John, need to look at the excellence we have "enabled" :-)

I remember we wheeled Spam to the student rec center (it had a name that I have completely forgotten), and we were photographed by the yearbook team. I cannot for the life of me remember if we went there on purpose or if we were just passing through. But, I certainly remember the summer of the summit though and the Galveston beach house.

We are off to Jerusalem, then Masada and the Dead Sea for the weekend. Should be interesting.

Jozie said...

Blacksono was a tiny baby, that time in Galveston and he slept on Johns chest for hours. I saw my first waterspout. fun fun fun.
Only problem is that blackpetero looks so dorky in that photo, thank goodness he changed his glasses. (by the way, note, that B.P's jeans were BLUE, so its a reminder that he has not been wearing black since birth, only for the last 12 years, maybe.