Monday, June 16, 2008

The Roll


This is the toilet paper dispenser in the toilets at work. Not a bad piece of technology. They are quite clever. There is space for two very large toilet rolls, so its rare we run out of paper. This is good because as I have stated before, vegetarians (especially gall-bladder free ones) typically have active stomachs. These toilet-paper dispensers have become a symbol of 80% for me. All in all, the design is good. Its the implementation here in Israel that is problematic. Once you buy these fancy dispensers, you need to keep refilling them with the correctly sized toilet rolls. These are delivered to us by the wholesaler. A few years back I noticed that the paper is very often stuck and difficult to pull out. Sometimes, getting more than a single small square is impossible. It took some research but I eventually found the problem. The rolls themselves are not cut straight as you can see in the lower picture. This causes great problems in the close tolerances of this finely engineered bathroom fitting. So, I tried to speak to the guy that brings the toilet rolls. I asked him why the rolls were cut so badly. He looked at me as if I was from some other planet. He slowly shook his head and muttered (I translate) "These high tech guys, always complaining, even when wiping their bums they are spoiled".

All I want is that things work the way they are supposed to. Is that so wrong?

1 comment:

Jozie said...

I am so frustrated for you blackpetero. I totally understand your dilemma. How I long for those giant rolls of super soft, really thick, 2 PLY, colored, scented, unscented, artistic, padded, absorbent, printed and coated with lotion TP. And now I hear that they are not even cut straight. oh the unfairness of it all...