Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Cheesy Story

Blackmicheleo reminded me of something that really bothers me. Its the cheese wedge issue. Now, here at blackfamilyo central we like the odd cheese wedge (or triangle). They make this "piquant" version that is not bad when spread on hot toast. We have been buying this for a while, but recently they changed the packaging. The new, improved packaging is almost impossible to open. You can bite, stab, twist and do whatever you wish but still the wonderful round package will not give up its lovely cheesy whatsits. If you look carefully at the picture above you will see the little serrated tab you think is there for you to pull off to open the package. Nope, no such luck. Usually you either take a knife to the damn plastic or just give up.

This is a picture of an opened package, just so you can see what a nice cheese-like triangle really looks like. I needed to take this container downstairs and use a vise-grip to open it. And by the way, even though its called "Mon Blanc" and has a nice picture of the Swiss Alps on the outside, its made and packaged in the well known cheese haven of Kiryat Malachi. People have been reduced to tears trying to open these packages.

Last week I was lucky enough to enjoy an evening meeting in Jerusalem. It ended at around 8:45pm and the only place open was the supermarket on the way out (the exit to Jerusalem is my favorite part of the city). Starving, I ran in at 8:55, and scurried around ignoring the shouts that they were closing in five minutes, searching for something to eat. I grabbed a semi-fresh roll and a package of "Piquant Mon Blanc". It was all I could find on that aisle remotely edible. I threw down my cash and raced back to the double parked Prius.


Imagine me flying down the hills of Judea, bread roll in one hand, all the while trying to rip the top off the package with my teeth. Eventually I had to stop, afraid that a cop would see me and pull me over for drunk driving. I managed to get a wedge eventually, but not before I hacked off a piece of thumb nail (maybe you can see in the picture to the left). One has to sacrifice for one's art.

1 comment:

oliviao said...

OK, so that one was really funny - including pictorial evidence!