Monday, June 23, 2008

The Fertile Will Inherit The Earth

I am now listening to "The Lessons of History", so no worries that I am going to turn all religious (the squints were worried that with all the self-help inspired soul searching I was doing I would "return with the answer"). Will and Ariel Durant won Pulitzer prizes for their huge contribution to history. They claim that birth control has changed the world more than we realize. Birthrate will decide the future they claim. They pose the question: does the fact that more educated people have less children mean that the world is doomed eventually to being run by idiots? They wiggle out of this by claiming that there is no genetic correlation between intellect and education (even the children of Phd's need education and children of large families test as well as the average), but do link the birth rate to the growth of fundamentalist theologies.

So, I agree with blackjocho, we are doomed to a world of ever decreasing intellect. A future with more jingoist, intolerant, bigoted people, convinced theirs is the only true way. I can't hardly wait.

5 comments:

Yuval said...

* I am happy to hear this.
* We are already turning into idiots but earth has a good mechanism to control it. For example, we disregard all our medical advancement and decide that water can cure us better = we bring back old illnesses that kills us. We elect bad leaders that leads us to death in wars. We become more religious (sounds like the earlier point...) and kill and get killed for that reason and so on...

John Deuel said...

I've heard this thesis also, and am afraid they may be right. Yikes.

blackpetero said...

Hey John Deuel

When you coming to visit us in the Holy Land? We are waiting, the guest room is all made up

John Deuel said...

ah, that would be lovely. My passport will expire shortly, so I must go through the (much longer now) process of renewing it first.

Thank you for the invite, and I'll discuss it with my spouse. I look forward to getting to know blacksono and blackdaughtero as actual people. And I miss you and blackwifeo a lot.

Unknown said...

As an antidote to the thought about being ruled by idiots try reading "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" by Robert Cialdini, on how easy it will be to manipulate those idiots.