Friday, June 27, 2008

The DTs

Some advice peeps. As "House" as it may be, don't get hooked on pain killers, even the over the counter type. I am feeling a bit better, but I'm afraid it may be a temporary reprieve and tomorrow morning I will feel as dog as ever. The neurologist gave me these serious steroids to take for two days. He told me he was writing the prescription for 10 pills, one a day, but he specifically wanted me to take 5 for the two days of the weekend. He claimed the pharmacist would ask a lot of questions if he prescribed it all at once. The pharmacist did indeed ask a lot of questions, she warned me that I needed to be careful with the steroids and decrease the amount slowly (I think she might have had a heart attack if I told her I would take them all at once). Needless to say blackwifeo was not happy about all this. I told her worst comes to worse, the Olympics are around the corner and with all the steroids maybe I can enter the weight lifting.

The neurologist also gave me 10mg of Amiltriptyline to take each evening. I looked this up on the net and indeed, these days its used as a migraine prophylactic. He said it may make me tired. He wasn't kidding, I had to drag myself out of bed this morning. My bones felt like they had melted. In the olden days they used this med (in much higher doses) for depression, anxiety etc. Maybe this is the answer, no migraines and a kinder, gentler blackpetero.

I have spent two days in a darkened room, no reading, no "surfthechannel", no macbook. I am ready to gnaw a hole through my pillow just for grins.

Hopefully this will be over in one more day, and then I can go back to my usual whining and complaining. Hang in there

No comments: