Tuesday, June 17, 2008

So What Do I Believe?

I finished listening to "The Seven Habits" and "The Last Lecture". Both were equally inspiring and terrifying. They constantly reminded me of how far I have to go. Today I started listening to "This I believe". Of course, I got to thinking, what do I believe? It's quite alarming that I could not clearly state this, even to myself. My thoughts frantically darted around trying to latch onto something clever yet insightful, deep and mystical.

I believe in excellence. I believe in the joy of the perfect combination of notes that form the only possible song for a specific moment. The brilliance of the right idea expressed in the least words. I believe that I should take my time and do things as well as I can. I believe I should not eat anything with eyes. That I lucked out with blackwifeo and that she will go to heaven (we are married 21 years today).

I know that anything worthwhile takes work. I pledge to work on this. I will write down what I believe, I will look hard and take my time and do a good job. Its necessary for me.

7 comments:

Yuval said...

It sounds like you believe in aspiring to be 100%

blackpetero said...

Its true I do believe in the 100%. But I wonder sometimes when I find myself cutting corners and I know I am compromising. Maybe thats just what it means to be human. Tough business this life.

arnieo said...

Happy anniversary to you and blackwifeo - she is the best!

blackpetero said...

Wow, a message from blackarnieo, famed brother and mentor. I am facklempt.

John Deuel said...

I agree with Arnie, who probably doesn't remember me from Adam, which is an odd expression since I'm not sure who "Adam" was, but the last time Arnie and I saw each other was decades ago in Houston.

Anyway, like I said, I agree with him. Happy anniversary to you both.

blackpetero said...

You know John, I have the picture of the Owlnet guys in my office. All the squints think we look like a rock band. We were cool back then (yeah right).

oliviao said...

Happy 21st anniversary and many more! Love you both, Olivia