Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Two Step


A guest post by Blackwifeo.

When Blackpetero asked me to post today's Music Video Tuesday, Tunes for Tuesday or whatever it is now called, I had no problem choosing what song to play. The big problem was WHICH version and from WHICH show.

Dave Matthew Band have played Two Step, live, 802 times and all agree that it is the consummate live DMB song. It is usually played at the end of a concert or as an encore.
Each time the opening lyrics change, reflecting on Dave's mood, the weather or guest musicians. I did not know that there are 186 alternate lyrics to Two Step.
The length of the song changes depending on how long they jam for at the end.
The longest Two Step version ever clocked in at a whopping 27 minutes 34 seconds.
Even the tune and music genre on the song changes, sometimes jazzy, bluesy, classical, afrobeat or even salsa. DMB s concerts usually run between 2-3 hours and I would do anything to be at one right now.

Dave Matthews Band is famous for their prolific tours, featuring super long improvisational renditions of their songs and their guests (Tim Reynolds, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, The Rolling Stones, Santana and Trey from PHish, just to name a few)


I have chosen two videos. First, an acoustic version with the incredible Tim Reynolds, Live at Radio City. Check out Dave's face at approx 5:13 into the song while watching Tim's totally awesome guitar playing. The mans fingers just fly over that guitar. It's classic.


ooh crap, I somehow managed to delete this post, petero is going to kill me. (Seriously 80%, sorry). No worries, I think I have managed to save it, but prior comments may be deleted. Sorry Alon & Bob.

PS: Seeing as I deleted the post, am going to take the opportunity to post the Folsom Field concert instead of Woodstock. You really get a feel for the excitement and energy of the audience.





7 comments:

blackpetero said...

Yup, festerbestertesterseniorostrin, managed to do it again, she managed to confuse the blogger user interface and get her post eaten ("I don't know what happened, I just press the button and everything was gone", Oh and of course I got the true 80% quote: "I don't know why you take it so seriously, it's only a blog") .

Anyway there is no way to repost the comments that were wiped out, but I get email every time anyone posts so the comments went like this:

blackpetero:
Beautiful (actually meaning not on the song but the poster as well).

Alon:
Love the blog lads. Read about 80% of it.

Josie:
Lon,I DO NOT want to hear about the live DMB concert you went to, at the Hollywood Bowl, where you sat in the 3'rd row. I am insanely jealous and think I may hate you for mentioning it. Not.

BobA:
I play that Radio City concert ALL THE TIME. Fantastic in Blu-Ray, too.

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Jozie said...

hmmmm, a bit testy are we?

blackpetero said...

May have a spot to do with the stumbling about in the dark for half an hour this morning looking for my car keys which were somehow in your bag.

Jozie said...

Half an hour? Surely you jest dear. If they weren't in the place you left them, then clearly they were in my bag as I DID use your car yesterday.

blackpetero said...

It is true they were not on the peg where I left them yesterday, but being the considerate husband I thought I would first look in all your usual hiding places before I woke you. So I looked in your office next to your computer, nope, in the kitchen next to the bread machine, no, next to the fridge, nope, next to the sink, not a sausage. I figured I would save looking in the fridge and freezer for the next round. So I started into the lounge. Not on the dining room table, not on the chest of drawers, there I did find your set of keys (including my spare car key), not on the little table next to the door. Then I realized I should check that my car is actually still there, so went back into the kitchen and looked out the window, Yes, I can see it half in the parking spot down the road. O.K. then I started upstairs. Not on the drawers next to the bathroom. Not in the bathroom. Not in the walk-in cupboard - your mother did a nice job and our clothes are nice and neat, she rules at folding T-shirts. Not next to your bed, not next to my bed. O.K. Back downstairs. Lightbuld lights above head. Maybe it's in her bag. Go through all the same places adding all the bathrooms and outside on the smoking swing to find bag. No sign of it.

ONLY THEN!!! does husband gently wake wife and asks quietly (using all the suppressive power in the universe to keep calm - the energy required for this dimmed lights through the greater Sharon region): "My love, have you seen my keys". Slumbering wife opens one eye and says in a nonchalant way, "Oh Yeah, they're in my bag". She tumbles out of bed and goes to the bathroom, giving husband the break he needs. He turns on the light and sees bag half hidden under the head of the bed on wife's side. He dives in, recklessly disregarding the dangers of looking in the tardis-like depths and spots keys.

But, "surely I jest"!

Jozie said...

Hilarious- That rant should be a post all on its own. I especially liked the "My love, have you seen my keys" bit.
I hope you have a much calmer and serene day. BTW- did you know that it takes exactly 6 minutes to bake bruscheta?

Haflo said...

so if men could multi task you would have
five bruscheta's ready while looking for your keys !

p.s second on rent needing to be a post.