Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Gaza Report

Most of the news here today is about the disturbing "Goldstone" UN Gaza report. I have not read the report, nor was I present in Gaza so I have no idea what went on and what was reported. I don't know what they expected here. The government refused to cooperate with the UN team, saying they were biased before the fact. Now it seems the report is harsh. Not surprising - as left wing, liberal as I am, I have no respect for the UN when it comes to Israel. The US Human Right's council that commissioned this report has spent more time discussing Israel's human right's "violations" that all the rest of the world's put together - including the atrocities committed in Darfur (more than 400,000 killed depending who you talk to, the Sudanese government claims "only" 19,500). I am not sure there were no Israeli violations, but man, there are some other serious issues out there that you should be spending time on.

Most annoying is Mr. Goldstone himself. I read today that he is a Jewish South African. Someone I can relate to. I heard his daughter interviewed on the radio. She says her dad's "a Zionist and loves Israel". He's going to celebrate the Jewish New Year with her and her family in Toronto on Friday. I have a problem with all this. It seems to me he should have excused himself from the team. She said her dad "tried to soften the UN Gaza report" and "he thought he is doing the best thing for peace, for everyone, and also for Israel". The thing that disappointed me most of all is to find Mr. Goldstone is another so-called Zionist who lives overseas and is trying and save us from ourselves.

1 comment:

mart said...

That interview with his daughter was in Hebrew. She made aliya many years ago and then moved to Canada after marrying a Canadian.

I agree that he should have excused himself from the job.

Look at the list of member countries in the The Human Rights Council http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/membership.htm and it is clear that Israel, albeit not entirely guilt fre, is one of the lesser human rights violators.