Friday, September 18, 2009

Shanah Tovah

Above you see a "before" picture. We are having somewhere between 30 and 40 people for New Year dinner. Most of these are the wife's family - everyone is helping, it's a real communal thing. I will post an after picture once the marauding hoards have come and conquered.

I have a gripe, I know it's not usual for me to have anything to moan about, but this is one thing that's been annoying me the whole day. I don't want any more group SMS "Happy New Year, Shana Tova" messages. If it is so important to you, call me, speak to me and wish me personally. If not, I understand. My feelings will never be hurt, I will still love you all. But this annoying business of group SMS messages must stop. There is nothing less personal. I think it shows a dangerous desire for approval, coupled with a fear of personal connection. You don't need to do or send anything, it's fine, but a text message is really lame. If you must send one, at least make it personal and only to me (ok you can include the wife).

Last year I was with my family in Houston. I particularly miss them on holidays like today. Have a fried kreplach for me guys. Oh, and a Happy New Year :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shana Tova,
Sorry, think I might have sent u or jo one of those annoying sms messages - will repent for such on Yom Kippur
Chag sameach to all of you.

Anonymous said...

Love Avril

blacksisterio said...

Well,here in Houston we had the sponge cake (stood next-to the prototype) and brandy and sang for the father and his tradition, and then the oil soaked kreppies and delicious liver made with love by the ageless mother........We missed you all.
Happy New Year-- (a very personal message, you see)
Love, gb