Monday, September 21, 2009

My Post Office

Next to squint central is the car test place. In the car test place there is a post office. In the post office work three lovely young ladies. It's the best show in town. I look forward to my infrequent trips to post letters (or assignments). Last week while I was waiting in line, Jenny (the one in the back, smoking) started shouting at Nurit (who was not working today). She had come down with a touch of flu, and had come to work anyway. Jenny was telling her off - she needs to go out cough outside. She grabbed the "Tamiflu" pills from Nurit's hand and started waving them about and warning us all that it's definitely swine flu and we should leave if we know what's good for us. On and on they shouted, Nurit purposely coughing on Jenny while she scooted all over the 2 by 2 area behind the counter. Eventually Jenny gave up and had a cigarette leaning out the door (much as in the photo above).

Today I needed to post some invitations for friends in the US. Jenny's daughter is not feeling good and the army will not allow her to stay home. She was visiting the "Kaban" (some sort of army shrink) and he was rude to her. So while I stuck stamps on the invitations I got to hear everyone's advice. "He's a nevaylah (corpse) is that kaban", "It's not right, and you a single mother", "an antipat (not sure if there is an English translation for that), ben-zonah", "call Barak!!" or "Carmit Menash (radio army reporter" on and on.

I had my little camera in my pocket so I asked if I could take a picture of the ladies. Another huge discussion started amongst the dozen or so people in line. "You know what they do with pictures on the internet, they use 'photoshot' and stick naked bodies on your heads", "Ask him for dollars", "What is this blog?". They agreed I could take a picture as long as they could decide which one I could use. So above you have Shosh and Jenny. After the difficult call with the kaban, Jenny needed another cigarette. She asks if you have any protectsia (connections) to please make sure her daughter can stay home, "she's really sick you know".

1 comment:

digger derrick said...

Please visit us and respond to Caltran traffic alert. Get the best digger derrick trucks here, at the cheapest rate.

digger derrick trucks