Saturday, September 5, 2009

Nahal Me'arot

This morning we visited the Nahal Me'arot caves. These caves are interesting in that they were inhabited for many millennia. During the Acheulian Culture (200,000 years ago) which lasted for 50,000 years, our distant cousins homo erectus lived in the caves an used rough hand stone tools. The Muarian Culture began 150,000 years ago, and during it's 50,000 years humanoids improved their stone tool technology, using smaller more refined flints. During the Mousterian Culture, 100,000 years ago and lasting 60,000 years, Neanderthals lived here and made even more sophisticated stone tools. Around the end of this period the caves were deserted (perhaps as the Neanderthals died out) until the Natufian period, 12,000 years back. At this time early man's life changed and he began building more permanent settlements with the beginnings of plant and animal domestication and agriculture.

All in all there is not much to see as obviously not much remains of these early settlements. At least it's close by.
The caves are built into the limestone rock.

The rock formations are quite impressive.
They felt they had to put these cheesy models in the caves. There is an introductory movie in the first cave, complete with grunts and dramatic music. I have to say that the whole place was a bit of a disappointment. These caves have an impressive history not really reflected in their current state.

The most exciting thing happened on the way to the park. I was minding my own business driving through the road works on route 4 near Zichron, when a cop car drew up behind me and pulled me over. He showed me my speed on his "devorah?". It appears I was travelling 111kph in a 60kph zone. He told me he would have to take my license away for a month and I would have to go to court etc. etc. I was very apologetic and respectful. "Yes Officer", "No Officer", "I'm really sorry Officer". Anyway, he let me off with a warning. I stuck strictly to the speed limit from then on. Phew!!!

No comments: