Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lascaux

I am sure all this archaeological stuff is probably boring you, but besides work it seems to be what I spend most of my time doing recently. One thing that completely blew me away was the cave painting in La grotte de Lascaux in France. The French have done a masterful job of recreating the experience in a website. Go look already. These paintings were painted some 16000 years ago. The cave was discovered by four teens in 1940, and has subsequently been closed to the public due to damage by Carbon Dioxide from the many visitors over the years. So the website is all we have. My favorite is the unicorn panel at the beginning of the cave. Really, go take a click and look a this, I'm not kidding, they're worth it.

1 comment:

oliviao said...

Quite amazing!The figures are so real and the colors still vibrant.