Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Time Team America

So I've been getting into archaeology recently, don't know if you have noticed. It all started years ago when I was two bricks and a tickie high back in the old country. I loved digging up the back yard at 35 Mill Park Road, particularly the piece of ground behind the folk's room, in front of the "maids quarters". I was looking for treasure, but secretly hoping I would find the skeleton of one of the cats that was reputedly buried there (Cukerooch, that was eaten by the Miller's dogs, I think it was). This passion lay dormant for years while I got involved in all sorts of passing fads (music, marriage, computers, guitars, rc airplanes and children to name a few). A year ago (almost to the day), my love and I were in Newcastle (UK), we were staying at a lovely old house quite a way outside the town. It rained and rained and rained that weekend. Bwo just wanted to sleep. I walked around in the rain, battled with the pathetic internet and finally turned on the big TV in the lounge of our "honeymoon suite". It was Time Team Saturday on Channel 4. It changed my life that show.

When I got back home, I watched most of their 15 seasons as well as the specials. I view these guys as mentors - I want to be Phil or Mike when I'm big. I want wild hair and a shaggy beard. I want to pour over old documents and dig in the rain and mud. Well, now Time Team has migrated over the oceans and PBS has started Time Team America. I watched my first one tonight, very different, but not at all bad. More than 80%. So there is no excuse you US people, check it out on PBS. It may change your life too. Now all I need is Time Team Israel and my life will be complete.

1 comment:

oliviao said...

I watched the one about Buckingham Palace and Windsor and LOVED it - will watch some others and report back! Not sure I want to be an archeologist like you do, but would like to come on a serious dig with you, so let's plan it! Jo can cook (yum) and Arnie can grump!