Friday, December 26, 2008

T Shirts

Gilad Shalit has been in Hamas captivity for two and a half years. During this time there have been no Red Cross visits and no letters home. The only reason we are reasonably sure he is still alive is because he is an important pawn in the prisoner exchange and negotiation game that is played out between Israel and Gaze daily. No one here can forget he is in captivity. There is a daily count that is announced before the news each hour. There are bumper stickers, yellow ribbons and posters.

This morning I took a walk through downtown Raanana. In the Yad LeBanim (fallen soldiers memorial) courtyard, the city had strung up hundreds of T shirts. Each painted by (I assume) a Raanana school kid, each with a message for Gilad. It is quite awesome. I hope he gets to wear them soon.

2 comments:

Jozie said...

My heart breaks for Gilad Shalit.
He reminds me so much of our Gilad (BSO). Sort of geeky and kind.
I cannot even imagine the nightmare his mom is going through while he with those terrorists. 18 years old. Our son will be doing his service in one years time and I cant help thinking that this could happen to him too.

Anonymous said...

That is truly breathtaking.