Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Question

Israel began its Gaza offensive today. Since I heard about the waves of planes that fired on the 45 plus prime targets, a question has been nagging at my brain. What if you are a religious helicopter pilot? Do you fly on the Sabbath to bomb Gaza or are you give the day off? I know about Pikuach Nefesh (allowing the breaking of the Sabbath to save a life), but what about a preemptive strike? Is all the religious military given the day off to pray and then expected to do double duty on Sunday?

4 comments:

Jozie said...

bpo, you are way too cynical. And that was a very uncool question actually, cause it implies that you are not behind the stopping of the approx 80 Palestinian missiles that land in Israel on a daily basis. If this operation is not intended to save lives and finally put a stop to the terror, then I don't know what is.

blackpetero said...

You are completely wrong O Love Of My Life. It was an honest question. I was informed by the squints today that the way it works is that the army has a sort of general "pikuach nefesh" pass, and any religious soldier does his usual soldering on Shabbat. Generally, the army does not try to abuse this and send them out on stupid errands (like going to the store to by a pack of Rothmans), but religious soldiers do all the same duties as everyone on Shabbat. Indirectly their military duty is viewed as ultimately saving lives.

It was a simple question. Are you so lacking of trust in moi?

Jozie said...

Actually, I trust you implicitly. Just cranky and stressed out.
Then I went to Kelley's blog and cheered up immediately (www.magnetoboldtoo.com)

Jozie said...

Riddle me this one Batman:

How come we are in the middle of a war, and channel 10 is running Odetta all day long???? So basically, I am watching Al-Jazeera! how fucked up is that?