Thursday, December 18, 2008

Reality TV

You would think that in Israel, where reality is often stark, people would want to escape and drown themselves in fantasy. No! Not at all. The biggest thing here since milk in boxes is reality TV. This week the talk on the street has been all over "Big Brother". To be honest, I have no idea what the premise of the show is, let alone care an iota who won. I am proud to say that we watch little, to no TV in blackhouseo (except bno, who is learning Hebrew). But recently I've been feeling I need a bit of a change from paper and audio books. So I figured I would find some of the documentary series I enjoyed while growing up.

I started with James Burke's excellent Connections I (I'm saving II and III for a rainy day). Then I uncovered Kenneth Clark's Civilization: A Personal View. Its wonderful, although his voice absolutely annoys bwo (no culture). I have started rewatching Cosmos, which although dated is a masterpiece. Carl Sagan is incredibly earnest and passionate and clear. This weekend I am going to start watching the The World At War. Its 26 one hour episodes, and I have memories of watching it as a teenager back in the old country. All of these were made at least fifteen years back, but they are still relevant. To counter this, we have also been watching Planet Earth which was made in 2006. The photography is astounding.

In my mind these documentaries are the real reality TV. Are there others I should look for?

5 comments:

shoshanafromNYC said...

Hello Peter le Noir - I know I promised to write well over a year ago - but hey - timely I ain't. But a big fan of your blog and you and Jo I am - so here goes. Yes - AMERICAN reality TV is indeed the end of civilization - but BOY it can be hideously entertaining. 3 shows in particular tickle me pink. Just Tuesday night we had the delight of catching the season finale of The Biggest Loser - Americans from Iowa and Mississippi (OBVIOUSLY not from here in NYC) who have eaten so much that they are near death's door. Lady who won lost over 140 lbs in 12 weeks. Todd and I are signing up for next season. QUickly on the heels of aforementioned finale was a particularly fine episode of Real Housewives of Orange County (that would be California). If we ever wanted to guarantee being hit by Iran before Israel, all an American Hater would need to do is to send a VHS of this vile series to the Ayatollah and we would certainly be toast. THe series follows 5 women who live in wealthy Newport Beach and who have had more work on them then the Golden Gate Bridge. We watch them ALL - and each and every one makes me feel like a cheap piece of trash - but how i love them :) Top Chef is good - but then again, that's my world. I love reading your blog Petey - and very much hope to see you guys over the coming year! Keep keeping it real - oh - and btw - The World at War is very fine indeed - I have specific memories of watching that at the bottom of my parents' bed (right after Forsyth Saga!). Kisses to all!

Anonymous said...

Forget reality TV (and Suzanne is the on who likes it, not me.) Californication and Madmen are the best things on TV, and I should know.

joch said...

Hey, you have Cosmos? I wanted to get the full series once, but got demotivated by the price at Amazon...

Jozie said...

Shite Suz, We don't get those shows here (I don't think, don't watch much tv since petero banned tv from the bedroom) but I will look for them on surfthechannel.com.
TopChef is awesome, but Dexter rules all aspects of the game. And are we ever going to get another season of Weeds?
Miss you guys very much.
Jo

blackpetero said...

Hey New Yoik, where you been? We've been missing you guys. They have that biggest loser shite here in Israel as well. I always thought it was a reality show about Jewish stock brokers on Wall Street.