Friday, December 19, 2008

Reality II

Yuval recommended the Up series. I had heard about it before, so we started watching last night and today. Bwo and I watched 14 Up, half of the original 7 Up and tonight we watched 21 Up. The premise is simple. Fourteen British kids were chosen and filmed at age 7 and then every seven years thereafter. 49 Up was the latest installment and was filmed in 2005. Its well worth watching. This really is the original reality TV. The class structure in Britain is clearly visible as is the geographical differences between North and South. I am looking forward to learning more about the participants and how their lives turned out.

All through the show, I kept thinking I was watching "Creature Comforts" (Do yourself a favor and watch the clip, Nick Park is a genius). The rhythm and cadence of the dialog in the Up series is exactly the same as in "Creature Comforts" (watch this one as well).

All in all time well spent.

1 comment:

Yuval said...

Cool...
I watched a few of the Japanese, SA and America ones.
They are newer and not as good but boy, are they different.
(not the American)