Monday, December 29, 2008

On The Bus

There are some strange people on the bus. The more I travel using the local bus service the more I'm beginning to notice the various quirks and learn the etiquette. First you spot the "seat hoppers", these people, usually young, often soldiers, are never happy with the seat they are in. As soon as someone gets off, up they pop and move into the empty seat. There seems to be no order to this constant improving of seat position, sometimes they move forward, sometimes back, often both in the same ride. Then there's the "nodders", also usually soldiers, always tired. The monotonous whine of the bus soon has them nodding off to sleep. Often as their heads droop they suddenly jerk awake, but slowly the weight of their head takes its toll and the nodding begins anew. Its like those nodding birds with the glass of water that were all the rage when I was young.

This morning I noticed the "place holders". These are usually middle aged men who sit in an empty row and strategically place their bags on the seat next to them. They scowl at anyone who dares to think they would move their goods. Usually the only people brave enough to request a move are other grumpy m
iddle aged men who themselves are probably "place holders" when there are empty rows. Of course, there is always at least one "talker". He, usually young, is happy to talk on his cell phone on the top of his voice, making out that his life is way fun and that even though he is on a bus at 6am he parties all night and is really cool. There always are numerous old ladies, some tight lipped, serious and sour, some smiling, fresh smelling and neatly dressed. My favorites are the old men who seem to have all the time in the world and are interested in everyone and everything. This morning the old guy sitting next to me wanted to know what I was listening to, where I worked, and who we going to give Gaza to when the bombing is done? Luckily there is little traffic at that time of the day and we arrived at my stop before we got to the hard questions.

8 comments:

Jozie said...

Love your bus stories. This one reminded me of Todd and Suzanne's crazy NY Temple stories. I still laugh when I think of them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blackos- yes, this is siimilar to the insanity and politics of our NYC temple: Temple BJ, I kid you not. Friday night services. A lot of jossling for the right seat so the Lord can best hear you. Can't sit too close to the front, because then everyone can see you. Don't want to sit next to the guy I dubbed the "Screamer" because he is singing along and then screams a couple of notes and everyone looks. Then there is the Mexican Jumping Bean who beseeches the Lord, you know the type. He's the guy with his arms raised on high, eyes closed, jumping up and down. You DO NOT want to sit next to him. We have a really fat lady, who has a Morrocan clicker. You don't want to sit next to her for two obvious reasons. There is a guy there we named Jeremy. He's a great guy becaus he's so into it and really believes. We like him. Always a smile on his face.

blackpetero said...

I have to say, that even though I have not a religious bone in my body, our trip to Temple BJ was one of the highlights of our trip to NYC. The whole "beseeching" thing is awesome. We welcomed the Sabbath Bride with loving kindness. It was great. I'm more than ready to come back and see you guys.

Jozie said...

I don't know Todd. I am still not 100% convinced that way a Jewish Service. Way too much wailing and speaking in tongues.
super fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Jozee- I tend to agree. A bit too evangelical. Interestingly though that is an influence that is being pickd up in American Judaism from American Christianity. What I like at BJ (smirk), is that something happens during the repetition of the prayers through song. Kinda Hare Krishna, Krishna, Krishnaish. I can do without the beseeching. Although it is good value for blog purposes. Happy New Year. And now that our apartment is properly void of Mexican workmen, there is plenty of room for an Ostrin visit.

Jozie said...

Count on it!!!!

John Deuel said...

when you guys visit NYC, let me know. we should get together!

blackpetero said...

No question we will. We just have to get there. I have been following your house building blog, John. You will definitely be going to heaven some day.