Saturday, December 20, 2008

I want to be an archeologist when I'm big

When I was young I wanted to be was an archeologist. I loved nothing more than digging up the back garden in Mill Park Road, dreaming of finding all sorts of ancient artifacts. I once, even applied for archeology school when I first tried university in Israel. I clearly remember going to the Hebrew University School of Antiquities and speaking to someone. They took one look at me and totally discouraged me by claiming I had not studied enough of the Bible and was wasting my time. This was just after I dropped out of engineering at the Technion. I went on to learn electronics and then computers before completing my degrees at Rice.

It's a pity I was put off so easily. I think I would have made a great archeologist. I have patience, enjoy research and I'm pretty good with a shovel. Maybe that's why I love Time Team so much. I must have watched at least 5 hours today. Luckily there's 15 years of Time Team shows to catch up on. All I want to do is go digging for Roman ruins in the UK mud. It may be a lot more fun on TV than in real life, but I'd like to try.

4 comments:

oliviao said...

Me too! So when you get a dig going, I want to come with you!!

Yuval said...

We are living in one of the best archeology sites in the world. Just dig anywhere and you are bound to find something interesting very quick.
Just don't forget that if you hit bones - the ultra orthodox will want ownership...

Georg said...

Hi Blacky,

To be an archaeologist you don't need patience but super-maxi-patience. Imagine an archaeologist working a thousand years from now and going through a garbage dumb armed with a
tooth brush.

To me it is a bit strange to hear that an archaeologist must know the Bible to carry out his job. If someone wishes to study this subject in Utah/USA, it would be thus mandatory to know The Book Mormon by heart.

Never heart of Time Team: looks great. Maybe it comes to France, one day (not too far away).
Georg

blackpetero said...

Hey Georg

Time Team did a dig in Wierre-Effroy in France looking for one of the first Spitfires lost in WWII. There is a link on the time team page. I have not seen this episode yet, but its supposed to be one of the best.

peter