Friday, June 11, 2010

One More Day To Go

My vacation has started. I'll have three weeks away from the responsibilities of squint central, lucky me. Looks like this is going to be an intensive archaeological time for me. Not only will I be off to Megiddo for three weeks tomorrow, but my next MA course has started. The course is all about "Managing Archaeological Projects" so the dig comes at the right time.

One of the books they sent me for the course is "Writing about Archaeology" by Graham Connah. I wish I would have had this book when I started my studies. I particularly like the fact that he not only gives examples of good writing but also some examples of the kind of writing I really struggle with. Some of the books and papers I have read are so completely dense and obtuse that I find I can't stay awake for more than a page or two. It's nice to find something that is informative and easy to read.

I'm more or less packed and ready for tomorrow. I still have butterflies and have no idea what to expect. I see from the megiddo 2010 Facebook page that most of the team members have arrived and are living it up in Tel Aviv tonight before the start of the big dig tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be able to blog from the Kibbutz (Ramat HaShofet) - you will all get lots of archaeology over the next while, probably mixed with the usual complaining and moaning. Look after the world while I'm out, please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Peter, this is Adam from Koinonia - you won a Bible Atlas.

Could you email me your mailing address? (adam.forrest@zondervan.com) Then I'll get your atlas to you, asap.

By the way, this blog is a wild, wooly, beautiful thing. I dig the blackpetero motif. I hope your vacation is full of arches in windows,
peace
adam