Monday, April 19, 2010

Violent Femmes

It was 20 years ago (today?). I was driving my little red Hyundai Excel down Greenbriar, outside Rice stadium between University and Rice Blvds listening to KTRU (Rice Radio) when this song came on. I remember it clearly. It was early afternoon, I was on my way to digital logic class. The DJs at KTRU only came on about once an hour and then rattled off a list of songs in rapid fire monotones. So I never found out who sang the song. But, it stuck. Funny how that works.

This weekend I was watching an uncomfortable movie about a kid with a stutter who joins the debate team. In a fit of frustration he lobs a cello through a window, with this song in the background. Well a bit of internetting and it was mine. The song is "Kiss Off" by the Violent Femmes and it still rules. I could really only find this half decent live version on the YouTubes. The studio version is great, but the video unfortunately is not. Listen through, the count off is classic.

No comments: