Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Shrug

The opposition in the Knesset is on strike. I have tried for a few days to understand why (all I ever hear is that it's "political"), but it's beyond me. Haaretz, my Israeli newspaper of choice, has not reported this at all. The Jerusalem Post (not my favorite), has a semi-coherent article about the walk out, but I still don't get it. Surely we pay these politicians to do their job. They supposedly work (or more exactly don't work) for us. How can they go on strike? What is weird is no one here, except me, seems to give a damn. Everyone I have spoken to about this says the same thing, "they do nothing anyway, so who cares". The answer is always accompanied by that Israeli shrug that raises the eyebrows along with the shoulders.

2 comments:

Jozie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jozie said...

They are on strike? (up/down movement of the shoulders) I had no idea.