Saturday, August 6, 2011

Darmok




On Monday the 30th of September 1991 Star Trek "The Next generation" aired the episode called Darmok (thanks wikipedia). We lived in the little house on Jackson street in those days and the boy was just over 6 months old.  That episode stuck in my mind for these 20 years.  A few weeks back I decided to catch up on my ST-TNG watching, thinking that in time I would get to Darmok and see how it has survived over the years. I started at season 1 and have been slowly going through most of the episodes until last night I got to the second episode of the fifth season.  Bwo and I watched it and it was as enthralling as ever. I love the premise of a race of people that speak our language but are unintelligible and that communicate using allegorical fables. And come on, the story of Gilgamesh, one of my favorites of all time. "Darmok and Jillad on Tinegra" and "Gilgamesh and Enkidu at Uruk".


I have modeled my whole leadership style on the two greatest leaders of our era Doctor Gregory House and Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Excellent men sailing "on the ocean, sails unfurled".

No comments: