Sunday, January 30, 2011

8099 not 80

I suppose all internet service providers are lousy, but Bezeqint must rank among the worst. The reason I hate them so much is this song. I refuse to give this noise the honor being posted on my blog. I have had a lot of trouble with trying to get to the bottom of the issue with why port 80 (the http port) does not work coming into my network. I have spent hours listening to this song going round and round while waiting for service representatives that have no sign of clue. They have tried to explain to me that is port 80 on my router was not working, I would not be able to browse on the net. No amount of explaining that I'm talking about port 80 coming into my house - not my browser (which browses to port 80 on the site I'm browsing to). They have now given up with me and have passed me on the Bezek the phone company - I have been waiting 23 minutes. And I'm certain they will have no idea how to fix this either (It's probably the router itself).

So if you ever have the desire to browse to ostrin.org you'll need to go to ostrin.org:8099

sigh

p.s. 45 minutes on the phone (this time) - at least they're changing out the router.

1 comment:

mart said...

You actually broke port eighty? ¡ʞɹoʍ ʇou ||ıʍ ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ ʍou.

Is it not a simple port blocking rule on your router or perhaps iptables or something?